Some students are having difficulties with Typing Agent using their iPads with external keyboards. This is the result of recent Apple updates that are breaking previous Apple settings. Since each keyboard behaves differently, it may be that you need to change keyboard settings.
Here is what we suggest:
1. Visit: https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/keyboards-ipad424a3e13/ipados
. Scroll down to the bottom where it says, "Change how the keys respond on an external keyboard".
2. Increase the Key Repeat interval to Fastest. If that doesn't work, try some other keyboard settings like Slow Keys. Taking steps like these will find what the commands are that will work with the your iPad and keyboards as there are many of varieties.
If you are experiencing issues with the spacebars, here is a link to the Apple Community of engineers where they are discussing this issue and quick fixes for it until Apple gets it sorted out: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/119022
Essentially, you can do 1 of 2 things:
- Clear the shortcut for Spacebar under the "Full Keyboard Access > Commands" (It tends to be set to Activate by default;) Or
- Go to Settings > Accessibility > Keyboards > Full Keyboard Access > Commands > Activate > Press Clear
If you try this and none of these solutions work, please email email@example.com and provide us with the following information:
- The name and username of the student whose experiencing this issue. (If multiple students, then give me more names so I can triangulate.)
- The name of the affected classroom(s)
- The browser and version being used
- The type of computer and external keyboard being used
- The specific lesson(s) where this occurring (World, Section, Activity or Mountain, Flag)
- Send a screenshot or video recording of what's happening