Connecting your district's rostering data with Typing Agent through Clever allows you to sync all your schools, classrooms, staff, students and enrollments through the Clever rostering service.
Requesting Typing Agent Clever Connection:
When you want to connect your Typing Agent district account to Clever, please work with your account rep, as this person will help to ensure your on-boarding process is smooth and successful. In case you don't remember who that person is, use your Typing Agent district administrator credentials and log into your account > click on the name at the top right > Account.
In order for your account rep to invite your district to sync Clever with your Typing Agent account, they need to know what the sharing rules will be. By email, please provide them with the following information:
- Your Typing Agent Username and Domain.
- The name of the school(s) that you want to roster.
- The grade levels you will be rostering; e.g., Grades 3, 4 and 5 or K-5.
- The number of student licenses you need.
- The start date you want schools to begin using Typing Agent with Clever.
After you've sent this information to your account rep or Support@typingagent.com, take a look at the data caveats below. Understand that these areas may change how you share your data with Typing Agent to make it more user friendly for your staff and students.
After the initial sync, any changes you make to your data in Clever will update automatically every evening at 9pm PT. In the syncing, any existing users will be soft deleted, then all user data will be rostered directly through Clever.
Here's what you need to know.
- When you log into Typing Agent, make sure that you've checked the box to connect with Clever button in your district or school's portal. (Your Portal button is found under School Management.)
- Share with us only the schools and grade levels that you need to connect with Typing Agent. When we initiate your sync, we will confirm that these parts of your data are to be synced.
- Usernames for Teachers and Students should be set to the optional Clever field listed as credentials.district_username.
NOTE if credentials.district_username is not used or if the user is a District Admin or School Admin, the Clever ID will be defaulted as the username.
- If you will be using any login credentials besides Clever for Single Sign On (e.x. Google, Office 365, ClassLink, or native Typing Agent sign in), the credentials.district_username must be used to work. See SSO help article.
- Students can be in multiple classrooms but in ONE SCHOOL ONLY.
NOTE students in multiple classrooms will cause some reports to show data multiple times for that student. We recommend keeping students limited to one classroom so you don't get redundant data in the reports.
- Teachers and School Admins can be in multiple schools and teach multiple classrooms.
- District and School Admins will be rostered with their Clever ID so it is mandatory to use Clever SSO login credentials for these rostered accounts.
- You can manually add School Admins using a CSV file from your district portal if you cannot enter them directly into Clever Rostering or if you do not want to use Clever SSO.
Sharing Clever Data with Typing Agent:
When you are ready to share your Clever data and connect with Tying Agent, please do the following steps:
1. Make sure you have a valid Typing Agent account. If you already have a Typing Agent Trial or Paid account, skip to Step 3. If your district doesn't have an account, use the link below to set up your Typing Agent Demo account: https://app.typingagent.com/register/district
2. After you have set up your Typing Agent District Demo Account, your next step is to send a request for a free Trial to your Account Rep listed within your district portal.
To see who to contact, click the dropdown arrow next to your profile picture at the top right, then select "Account" and your account rep contact details will be shown. Write to this person letting them know the names of the school(s) and the grade levels you would like to have access Typing Agent. You can also reach out to our support team at email@example.com for assistance.
3. Within the Clever portal search for and approve the Typing Agent application icon.
Typing Agent will get notification that you have requested this. However, to ensure you get connected and have the right licensing for your rostering, contact your Typing Agent account rep. This information can be found under your Typing Agent District > Account link by clicking on the name in the top right once you log into your account.
Once Typing Agent receives the request we are going to check the following on your account.
- Do the schools activated by you match with those supplied by your account rep?
- Do the classrooms activated by you match with those supplied by your account rep?
- Does your account have existing users?
- Does your account have the right number of licenses allocated?
- If you have current users, do the usernames match or are they different?
- Do you have current data in the system and how will that affect your users?
Clever Data for Rostering users:
Users in Clever have an optional field called credentials.district_username that typing Agent uses to roster the username of the students and school admins and teachers. This field is required if you want to use other SSO methods or match existing usernames that may already be in Tying Agent
The best way to ensure success with Clever is to make sure that the credentials.district_username in Clever match the users in Typing Agent.
Steps that we will proceed with:
1. Soft delete all your current Schools, Classrooms, Staff and Students.
2. Roster the Schools, Classrooms into Typing Agent as you have in Clever Data.
3. Pull in and try to match staff and students' usernames and associate the Clever account with those existing users.
4. Roster the staff and students as per your enrollments.
After this is done, it is important to make sure that you have enabled the Clever SSO function in your district portal to work with your OAuth authentication from Clever.
From your District Portal click on School Management > District Portal
Log in Clever must be selected to enable OAuth Sign in from Clever.
Option to add District and School Admins
We have found that some districts need to have teachers rostered through Clever while also needing them to have school admin capabilities. We have added the ability to add District and School Admins using CSV (Comma Separated Value) files from the district portal.
The only concern is that the usernames do NOT match the usernames in Clever so they can be persistent in the system and not overwritten when a sync occurs.
Typing Agent will run a nightly Cron Job on our server that will pull the data into Typing Agent that has been updated in your Clever Rostering Data. This should take place around 9PM PT each night.
If for some reason your data doesn't look synced properly, request our Support Team to do a manual sync by using the in-app chat function (bottom right when logged in) or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Performing this manual pull should allow your data to sync immediately to match your Clever data. (Depending on the size of your sync, this could take up to 24 hours to process.)
Note: Typing Agent allows alternative SSO such as MS SSO or Google SSO however we only match the usernames to these SSO methods and not the email address.
Please Note As Well: Typing Agent does not pull over students email addresses with your data sync, only the usernames.